Thursday, July 22, 2010

how do you measure, measure a year?

Ending my volunteer year is probably one of the hardest things that I've had to do. I can honestly say that coming into it all, I thought I knew all of what I was "getting myself into"...false. I knew nothing. I didn't know how challenging it was going to be. I didn't know how difficult it was going to be to say goodbye. I didn't know that I would have an enormous amount of struggles. I can tell you know that I couldn't predict almost anything that occured throughout my volunteer year. And I am happy about that.

One of the hardest things was saying goodbye and having it all just suddenly end. I no longer have people asking me how my day was constantly (both community members and other av related people) and I don't have people that are sourronding me constantly. It drove me crazy a lot of times throughout my year, but I truly missing having others around now.

I can't include an entire year in one post. But the one thing I can tell you is that I truly miss it. End of year retreat was a great way to end things. We each told our story of our year (in the best way that we could) to the office and the other vols, spent some time reflecting on how the year was, and finding ways to move on in a good way, but still being able to take the volunteer year and what we learned with us. We were also able to have a lot of fun and really celebrate the end of a great year.

So here I am...no longer an Augustinian Volunteer, but I am happy to say that I am proud of everything I learned and accomplished through my year both good and bad. And although it may be difficult, I am ready to move on.

So here concludes (with pictures of course) End of Year Retreat...which basically sums everything up.


Here is us...San Diego, arriving in Philadelphia. We don't really have much stuff, right? hahaha...nope. We have too much stuff. This is all of our baggage...post all of what we already sent home.


Although it was sad to leave San Diego, I was so excited to finally be reunited with my best friend again. All Teresa Lua was the one person who could truly understand everything that was going on throughout my year (that didn't live with me of course). It was great to have her at End of Year to begin that transition from AV year to home life because we could have each other throughout it all.


One of the most meaningful times during end of year for me was when we read our end of year stories. Of course, our community had a bond as we did this in front of everyone. Our stories were so much more a like than I though they would be. As soon as we finished we came together and had on of our usual "hands in" moments. This truly meant something to us.


and of course, to put an end to the year, we needed to go out and celebrate everything. and that we definitely did! This is San Diego at the beginning of the night before it all began.


one of the traditions the AV's have at end of year, it making t-shirts for each other. Here is us and all of our shirts! I think it really describes each of us and our year in the shirt.


all the domestic av's 09-10. Although we did not all live together, we really all did become close throughout our year.


and of course...the way we REALLY like to celebrate in San Diego is by taking tequila shots...the mexican way of course! (yes, we did have a crazy res of the night (and even difficult next morning) because of this lovely picture!)


our final day at end of year and together we celebrated mass. many of us, including myself, were reunited with families and said goodbye to each other. Here is San Diego with our lovely prayer candle.


And finally...after all of the million pictures we (actually...mainly allison) took throughout our volunteer year, this was our final picture of the year before we all headed separate ways. Although it may be difficult to get 6 people who live in 6 different parts of the country together again, I truly believe that we will do it again sometime, even if it is at the first person to get marrieds wedding.

And although I never really thought about this until end of year...this song is will now always make me think of my volunteer year.

Rent- Seasons of Love
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?

How about love?
How about love?
How about love? Measure in love

Seasons of love. Seasons of love

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes!
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Journeys to plan.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure the life
Of a woman or a man?

In truths that she learned,
Or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned,
Or the way that she died.

It's time now to sing out,
Tho' the story never ends
Let's celebrate
Remember a year in the life of friends
Remember the love!
Remember the love!
Seasons of love!

Oh you got to got to
Remember the love!
You know that love is a gift from up above
Share love, give love spread love
Measure measure your life in love.


Love Forever and Always,
Katie Kupski
AV San Diego 2009-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment